Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The dress and the dancing queen

I'm so relieved.


The dress was a success!

The dress was easy enough. Even though I don't sew regularly anymore, this was a pattern that was easy to follow. I used boning for the first time, in the back and side bodice seams, but it was no problem. The dress was finished more than a week in advance. 
Well, except for the hook and eye. 
Aren't you supposed to wait until the last (and I mean very last) minute for that?
Yeah, that's what I thought, so I'm not about to change that universal rule of sewing.



 The hard thing about this dress was not even part of this dress. I mean I had no pattern for it, but this dress had to have a petticoat. A nice fluffy petticoat.

At first, I thought, no problem! We will just run over to a prom dress shop and pick one up. We had seen them on-line, and - silly old me -  I just thought they would be in the stores. Like when I was young. Decades and decades and decades ago.


 Well, we searched all over town,but could not find a proper petticoat. Turns out they are all made into the dresses now. If a dress needs a petticoat, it is part of the dress. You don't just go out and buy a petticoat anymore. What planet am I from? (Or what century?)

Now there was not enough time to order it on-line and be certain it would arrive in time, so I had to scramble and make one. No problem. You don't need a pattern for a fluffy petticoat (good thing, 'cause I sure couldn't find one!) At first Amy didn't want tulle - she was too used to ballet costumes with very stiff tulle, and she thought that would be too stiff for this dress. It had to be light-weight, soft, fluffy - but not stiff.

I just started stitching and gathering, and adding more layers, and different shades of pink, and eventually (and not a moment too soon) we got it just right. It was just how she wanted it. Fluffy, but not too fluffy. And not too stiff, or too soft.
Just right. 

 She'd had a very hectic week of rehearsals every evening and standardized testing for school every afternoon. 
Among other things. 
She had been at rehearsal that morning since 10:00am. She got home at  4:30 and wanted to be at the dance between 6:00 and 6:30 (dinner was to start around 6:30) and the location was a little more than half an hour away if we had no traffic snags. We wanted to leave the house at 5:30. She had an hour to shower, curl her hair, do makeup - everything. 
And she'd  been dancing and singing at rehearsal since 10:00.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.
But she was ready to go, full of energy.
Must not be late - it's The Dance!
Oh to be 13 again!

Come on, mom - let's go!!!





I had a chance to get just a few photos before we left for the dance, a couple when she got there, and a couple more when I picked her up. 

She was happy with the dress (and the petticoat!).
She looked really pretty in pink. 

10:00 pm came way too soon for her. 
("Why can't there be a dance every Saturday night?")
Yes, I'm old but I do remember the feeling.

I'm pretty sure she had fun.

And that is what matters.


Photo taken by the Dance Photographer

Oh yes. She had fun. :)




6 comments:

Sara said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful! Um...would you please come be my neighbor and teach me how to sew? Currently my machine is buried in my closet due to bad behavior from both of us. He kept knotting up the bobbin thread and I kept swearing. Bad stuff.
But you! Yowza! She looks amazing in that dress! Way to go!
If it makes you feel any better, I wore a dress to a dance in high school and it required petticoats under it and we got them from a store. You know--waaaaay back in the eighties. Big dresses and bigger hair! ;0
That last picture? Awesome. You know it's a good dance when the shoes come off.

Lori said...

Thanks Sara! I would gladly sew for you if you would refinish furniture for me! My machine was having bobbin issues a couple of years ago but I found a repairman and now all is well between me and my old Singer. One of life's biggest frustrations is a misbehaving machine, so I totally understand what you are going through with yours. I recommend that you send yours off for a week or so of rehabilitation with a repairman, and then you too will be making fluffy pink dresses again! Or whatever color you like. :)

Amy just had to have those high heels - "perfect for the dress!", but she had no intention of actually dancing in them. And when she carries socks with her to a dance she is only thinking of her feet. :)

giftsofthejourney said...

I saw a new post of yours on my google reader, but it has never materialized on your blog. I thought of you when I saw this a few minutes ago and I wanted you to see what this woman had to say about Rent.

http://deeperstory.com/rent/

I have to agree with her.

Alicia said...

You did an awesome job! Wow, boning and all. My mother is an amazing seamstress and used to make gorgeous dresses like this for my sister and I all the time. What a great memory for your daughter. Sweet, sweet post!

Lori said...

GOTJ - Thank you for the message! I removed the post for a number of reasons that I would like to get into, but don't have time right now. I didn't realize it would appear anyway in google reader. I am pretty clueless about all of this. Not a good thing to be publishing blindly, which is part of why it was removed! :)
Anyway, it is up on the blog again for now.

Thank you for the link to the wonderful blog post and for the introduction to a blog I am really looking forward to exploring!

I was having a particularly bad day Sunday when I got the message that you had left a message about the blog. Way more than I can get into here, but your message meant a lot to me and I appreciate it so much that you took the time.

I always enjoy your blog, and I hope you are well. Thanks again for the comment and link.

Lori said...

Thank you so much Alicia! I enjoy sewing, but don't often find time for it. It was fun to make a special dress for Amy that she really wanted and have it turn out well. She was happy, and that is what matters.
Thanks for your comment!